Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bariatric University

Wow, so each day I'm a little bit closer to the surgery date and in a way freaking out a bit more. I guess it has taken so long to come to pass it is hard to believe that the date will be here before I know it. So today was BU, which basically was a run down of what to do before, during and after to be successful.

This was a class so there were about 6 others in the room that are getting ready to have the procedure as well, although I think I am the only revision (meaning I am the only one converting from one procedure to another). The class starts off with taking your "before" picture for the wall. Forgive me because I am easily annoyed by others but I seriously wanted to jack a few of these women up and tell them to cut their dumb crap. "I don't like my smile." OR "My hair isn't done." Really? We are all overweight and we have all walked past that wall of pictures and I'm pretty sure people aren't checking out your roots or teeth. No, everyone is looking at the transformation between the before and after pics because it inspires us to seek the same success. 

So after pictures we begin to sample the flavors and different brands of the approved shakes for the liquid diet. Ugh, I must've cheesed hard when I read I can have 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth each day, sugarfree jello, sugarfree popsicles and I can add flavored extracts to the shakes to switch it up a bit. That just made my day!

Umm, then I found out that the day of surgery, after I wake up, I cannot have anything to drink until the next day. I will have an IV in me but I cannot have anything to drink and if you've ever had surgery your mouth is extremely dry. No ice chips, no nothing. They will give me a moist sponge to wet my lips. If I have no nausea, can drink a specific amount of liquid in an allotted time, and the test they do show no leaks, I can go home after one night.

Then I found out that I am probably going to be on a liquid diet for about a month after the surgery, with the same allowances as above and I can introduce other soup as long as it is smooth but I am not sure I want to push it because the last thing I want is for the staples to open. By weeks 5-6 I can begin soft foods such as applesauce, scrambled eggs, cream of wheat and such. This ain't going to be a walk in the park. They immediately want me to begin walking for 30 minutes a day and once I'm healed that needs to be at a minimum of a mile a day.

So as I prepare to begin my liquid diet I am thinking about the things I would like to eat because it'll be a pretty good while before I even attempt to eat anything solid. As hard as I think the liquid diet will be to do, I can really see myself for doing it for much longer out of fear for opening the staples and having leaks. So what's on my list? Not sure...I know I want some good ceviche, elotes, oh and I definitely want to go to Sassy's Hot Dogs and try a WTF (wrap that frank) & fried marshmallows. For my own good, I have just discovered an infatuation and admiration for specialty food trucks. I think the Foot Truck Race is to blame!!

So until Thanksgiving....I'm not sure how much I will post between now and then.

Some questions asked yesterday on FB...I think I have already explained why I am having it. I will say for anyone who is considering a bariatric surgery, please find a surgeon that specializes in more than one surgery and take their advice on what is the best option for you. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT pick a surgery and then find a surgeon to agree because 9 times out of 10, if a surgeon knows they can get insurance to approve or you will pay out of pocket you're a candidate for whatever you want. Most insurances will cover if your BMI is over 40. For some that is not enough and you must meet a preference that would deem the surgery medically necessary. That might be diabetes, or something of that sort.

For me personally, when I had the lap band the only thing I paid was $500 to the surgeon and $250 to the facility and they told me up front they would write off whatever insurance did not pay. I never heard from the surgeon after the fact and the information he gave me and TRUE results gave me were two totally different sets of rules. For this surgery, I have already met my $500 deductible for the year so the surgery itself will fall under my co-insurance so I will pay 20% but nobody wants anything up front. They both want to bill the insurance first and work it out with me later. I have already paid several hundred dollars on my account with Dr. Kim though. Today the protein shakes cost me $200 for two weeks worth and you must use this prior to the surgery. What I choose to use afterwards is at my discretion. All insurances are different so all I can say is check it out.

I personally would never encourage or discourage anyone when it comes to a bariatric surgery. I think nobody can tell if you need to pursue that avenue except you and a professional. If any of you opt to have a surgery, I will do anything I can to support you in your decision...just say the word.

<3 y'all. Good night

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you're doing this blog. I think it will be very therapeutic for you! <3

    ReplyDelete